Live migration is a technique designed by software developers for making transitions and upgrading simpler for organizations. As Bill Gates rightly pointed out, “We’re changing the world with technology,” live migration is the latest feather in this cap. Live migration is basically the maneuver of working a virtual machine or an application from one real host to another real host, without any power disruption or detachment on the client’s side. The company cloud migration service, when processed correctly, doesn’t create any inconvenience for the end user. Live migration transfers the memory, network connectivity, and storage of the virtual machine. This is done for upgrading and maintenance purposes without any interruption caused on the client side.
Advantages of Live Migration
The maintenance and boost of any software systems are very important for the Information Technology industry. So keeping in view the above perspective, the live migration system has been designed. The major benefits of using the system include:
1) The system acts in a proactive manner for upgrading and maintenance purposes.
2) It allows for the client’s item to continue running when there is maintenance work being done in the data center for network and power grid.
3) Live migration allows detection and rectification of any problem before it happens, so that the system is saved from disruption.
4) Even when the hardware like memory, network interface cards, disks, CPU, or anything else in the system stops working, the live migration keeps the system active. When there is a complete crash of the system or the live migration is not able to work, then it will crash the Virtual Machine and restart the machine automatically with a host error logged.
5) The live migration status allows the system to work during security related updates.
6) The system also allows load balancing which enables the sharing of computer systems so that there is the optimum utilization of available computers.
7) All systems related configuration changes, including the upgrading of operating system and BIOS, are backed by the support of the live migration to prevent any downtime.
How the migration of Virtual Machines takes place
In order to mitigate the migration complexity, one can get in touch with CloudEndure. The company cloud migration service helps in removing any risk related to live migration technology with the automated mechanism.
There are mainly three steps involved in virtual machine migration.
1) Preparation Stage – At this stage, the hypervisor duplicates the memory pages from the source file to destination file, with the Virtual Machine active on the client side.
2) Blackout Stage – This stage lasts for a short duration of time in which the virtual machines stop running everywhere. It is put on hold until the dirty pages have not been duplicated in the destination, after the copying, the machines are restored on the target host.
3) The Post Blackout stage – In this stage, the virtual machines perform on the target virtual machines. The source machine supports the target machines for proper functioning. Thus, concluding the migration process. The system ultimately removes the source virtual machines.